Friday, October 4, 2013

Jealousy, Redux

Last month, we bought tickets to a Halloween themed event at a semi-local theme park. I had figured I'd be able to get time off from work for a couple of days, to allow me to be able to go with them and not be completely wiped at work after the late drive back. It takes about two hours, in absolute best traffic, to get there, and the event was scheduled to open up at 3pm. I already knew it'd most likely be something like 1:30-2am before we got back.

Of course, I was unable to get out of work, and knew in advance that I wouldn't be able to get home until around 4pm...which put the travel up right into rush hour.  So I told Susan to just take the kids up, so they at least could enjoy themselves.

With Susan's knowledge, I made plans with Trina to just go over to her house right after work to hang out. We passed the time together, and I got occasional updates throughout the night as to what Susan and the kids were up to. I ended up going home about midnight, and stayed up til Susan brought the kids home about an hour later.

After all the unwinding of a fun day at the theme park, and installing the kids into their slumber receptacles, Susan told me that while what she had said last week was true, that she was jealous over the friendship Trina and I had, she was worried that I would think that Trina was more fun to be around, and eventually decide that our house wouldn't be "home" to me anymore.

Setting aside the fact that Trina is also married, and very much looking forward to her husband coming home (as well as the occasional date with other people she meets), I've lived with Susan for almost a decade.  I have absolutely no reason to abandon her in pursuit of another happily married (though poly) woman.  And I made sure that Susan knew that, and heard that from me.

I'm not exactly sure why I feel no jealousy towards her interactions with Ryan.  It almost comes as a relief to know that she is actually having those feelings in regards to myself and Trina...it kind of puts some sort of normalcy back into our lives, if that makes sense!

She made the suggestion, though only that - not a requirement - that I limit seeing Trina once during the week, not counting weekends.  We need to revisit that...I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, especially with how fluid everyone's schedule is.  I can understand why she wants that, but we'll have to see.