Sunday, August 11, 2013

Changeup

So this weekend, instead of feverishly baking and cleaning, I actually had a more relaxed Saturday.  Susan and I ordered in three games after watching them be played on the TableTop series on Youtube:  Settlers of Catan, Small World, and Ticket to Ride.  See, in most cases, Susan has always hated games...she didn't grow up in a competitive household like I did, so games have always been a rather "meh" thing for her.  There's been exceptions of course, but other than the very occasional game of Gin Rummy, getting her to play anything has been like pulling teeth.  Even as our older munchkin started to become of age to get interested in games, getting her to play Monopoly, or Life, or anything like that has always been a struggle.

I decided to buy Munchkin Booty a while back, and actually got both Susan and the kid to play, and then she saw that Wil Wheaton had a web series around games, and had to watch.  Now that she knows how to play those games, of course we had to get them!  So we ordered them, and they came in the mail yesterday.  Due to bowling (for me) and dance (for the youngling), we didn't get to play any of them last night.

So today I broke them all out, and did solo playthroughs to get the hang of them, then played all of them (and then Small World again after) with the kid to get her used to the rules. I'm sure we'll end up playing something tomorrow...most likely Ticket to Ride, and it'll be nice not having to start at ground zero for rules of the game.  It, um, did also give me a bit of an advantage, as I now have a better idea for what works in each game...but hey, that's what she gets for leaving me alone with unplayed games!

Susan was supposed to go hiking with Ryan today; from what I understand, they had to switch trails.  The one originally planned on is downhill to begin with, then back uphill to wherever the starting point was.  We went hiking yesterday since I had the day off, and found that she doesn't do uphill very well, especially in the middle of the hike...so they scratched that idea and went to another trail that ended in waterfalls instead.  She sent me a message afterwards; no bears munching on her and her knee held up okay, so all was good there.

I've sent a few people on the dating site I'm on messages to try and start conversations.  At the beginning of this I'd at least get a start of a conversation going...it might not have gone anywhere, but at least there'd be an attempt.  Lately, anyone I've messaged doesn't bother; even the ones who state outright they're just looking for poly-friendly couple to hang with visit in response, and don't bother leaving a reply.  I had Susan take a picture while we were out hiking yesterday...hopefully after I get that uploaded I can get a better response & visitor rate.  It's the only thing I can think of...since I'm too scared to show a plain image due to the whole military thing, I've got extreme closeups of my face instead.  I'll dump those and throw in the hiking image, make sure my face is somewhat shadowed, and toss that up...hopefully it works a bit better.

Can't do any worse, really.