Sunday, November 10, 2013

DIY or Bust!

I've been looking for DIY plans for a bondage...stand? Tower? Frame?  Not sure what the hell to call it...anyways, I hadn't really liked anything I'd found.  Most of the plans either require tools I don't even own, let alone know how to use, or else look extremely shaky.  I'd finally hit on the idea of just taking a 4"x4"x8' beam and, using hinges, attaching 2"x4"s about 5' up the side, so it could set up as a tripod.  Then I drew it out...for the stable platform I wanted, the full 90° angle, the legs would have been humongously long!  Oops.  That was all rough free hand, so I might have been off by a foot or two, but still.  Taking it to a lesser angle would have been better, but the ensuing stand didn't look sturdy enough.

So last night I went back to the drawing board, so to speak, and found this post at Spiritual BDSM talking about using a Cypress Swing Stand as a bondage frame.  The stand is lovely to look at, a true work of art, aaaaand just a teensie bit out of my price range.  Even with tax return season coming up, there's other things we can spend that kind of money on. But it did start me looking at porch swing stands in general, and while there are some out there that would work, affordable ones either look clunky or else have reviews talking crap about the assembly/directions/parts/durability.

I think in the end I'm going to make my own after all, albeit it much less decoratively than the inspiration, and just mirror Michael's Cypress Stand and let it overhang our headboard.  We definitely have the ceiling room, and the only issue we might have is that it might get in the way of our nightstands.  If that's the case, I've already checked and it'll fit in front of our bedroom window; we can hang fake plants or something off of it to disguise it for our kids.

Edit: Should have noted, my goal is to have this done by Christmas...I have initial plans drawn up (thankfully, Excel can make great graph paper if you set it up right!)  I just have to price materials and go from there.